Tuesday 28 September 2010

Sea Fever

my photo

by John Masefield

I must down to the seas again, to the lonely sea
and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by,
And the wheel's kick and the wind's song and the white
sail's shaking,
And a grey mist on the sea's face and a grey dawn breaking.

I must down to the seas again, for the call of the
running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown splume, and the
sea-gulls crying.

I must down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull's way and the whale's way where the wind's
like a whetted knife;
And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover,
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long
trick's over.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This evocative poem is a favourite of mine since childhood.  It reminds me of my late father who loved the sea and in particular the dramatic and sometimes wild coastline of the south-west.  I have inherited this love too and often yearn to hear the cry of the gulls and the crashing of the waves; to feel the salt-spray in the air ...

The above photographs were taken in a blustery cove in St Ives, Cornwall.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my, but that took me back to my junior school in the Forest of Dean where I first heard this poem. Love it and think the sea is in our blood those of us who are born and bred in these islands anyway.

    Thank you Jeanne.

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. This took me back to junior school too... I had to learn it in detention! Punishment for talking too much!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you enjoy this poem ... I love to read your comments