Monday 4 April 2011

'April', The Shepherd's Calendar

 My Photo


~ by John Clare (1827) ~

Now infant April joins the Spring,
And views the watery sky,
As youngling linnet tries its wing,
And fears at first to fly;
With timid step she ventures on,
And hardly dares to smile,
Till blossoms open one by one,
And sunny hours beguile.

But finer days are coming yet,
With scenes more sweet to charm,
And suns arrive that rise and set
Bright strangers to a storm:
Then, as the birds with louder song
Each morning’s glory cheer,
With bolder step she speeds along,
And loses all her fear.

In wanton gambols, like a child,
She tends her early toils,
And seeks the buds along the wild,
That blossoms while she smiles;
Or, laughing on, with nought to chide,
She races with the Hours,
Or sports by Nature’s lovely side,
And fills her lap with flowers...

2 comments:

  1. Jeanne,
    I think John Clare is very underrated and should have a wider audience. Ironically, this week has seen an increase in bird chatter as I send my husband off to work at 6.00am. We've both commented on the surge of the dawn chorus and it's mentioned by Clare here. Proof if proof were needed that things might sway a little out of kilter but the seasons are mostly consistent over the centuries. Hope you're enjoying this burst of April sunshine. Lesley x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this phrase: "And views the watery sky" Because it reminds me of my trip to Argentina. The sky was always like that. I was in an apartment in buenos aires that had a terrace and I could look at it daily. Loved it!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete

I hope you enjoy this poem ... I love to read your comments